Saturday 28 November 2009

To buy or not to buy, that is the question......

Oh the shopping dilemmas I find myself in... Perhaps I need to explain the background first:

  • Clothes shopping has never been that much fun for me.
  • I want to wear ethical fashion.
  • I like hippy/scruffy/chill out sort of clothing that won't look ridiculous on a 50year old.
You can see the hurdles I face and why I have procrastinated for so long. However, at some point the issue has to be addressed as clothes need replacing and preferences change...as does size (but that's a different matter!) So what do I do?

Well I have started with baby steps by emailing a few clothing retailers and asking about their ethical policies re workers rights, living wages and such. I have had replies which means that someone, at least has read my concerns.

I always try and remember to lift the label now to see where something has been made and if I end up emailing the retailer, having bought the garment, I try and say something positive first before I launch in with the questions!

I am beginning to read up more on the fashion industry, which retailers are starting to be more proactive. I found these articles today which I will attempt to read at some point. I have scan read them.

http://www.labourbehindthelabel.org/images/pdf/letscleanupfashion2009.pdf


http://fashioninganethicalindustry.org/context/aglobalindustry/

I even wondered about making more of my own clothes again, which I probably shall, but there is still the question of Fairtrade, cotton pickers working conditions, how stuff is dyed etc with both fabric and wool....

I don't want to become all legalistic and boring, but the justice drum beat, grows louder and is becoming much more the rhythm I want to live by now.

Just found this whilst looking for an image to download, interesting sounding companies! Perhaps all is not yet lost!

http://www.tooashop.com/

http://www.ascensiononline.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails