Monday 20 October 2008

Kitchen carnage and lessons learned...


After yesterday’s disaster of toffee apple consistency crab apple jelly behind me, I have learned a few lessons, the first being why I didn’t make use of the thermometer in the drawer and the second why I didn’t insist that Dick, who has made it before, come and peer into the saucepan whilst I was apparently “making such a big thing out of it” by asking lots of basic questions….Husband forgiven and actually the other saving grace was that I also made some “to die for” (she says modestly) Rosehip syrup which for me holds childhood memories of my mother producing it at regular intervals along with the cod liver oil and malt and abidec vitamins in warm milk. Pauline and Stuart (friends of mine) tell me that the aforementioned Rosehip syrup is particularly tasty drizzled over Yorkshire pudding with gravy…so methinks they will have to come over sometime soon for a grand tasting….

Today has been “Take 2” crab apple jelly which (drum roll) looks like what it should, although probably wouldn’t win any prizes at The Bath and West”. I could go into the clarity and the aroma, taste, consistency etc but would sound just a tad like Andy in “fragrance selling mode” so I won’t but suffice to say I keep tilting the jar and doing a little “pleased with myself” dance which incorporates a punch into the air….sad….

The Quince cheese, why is it called that, it has no dairy products in it, is bubbling away on the cooker. Apparently, I should have a Spanish speciality sweet snack” by the end of its bubbling 3 hours during which I have to stir it frequently until I can drawer a line in the base of the saucepan and it will be thick enough to separate. This time I am taking no chances and I am bobbing up and down like a Meer cat to stir it every 5 minutes! At the moment it is spitting red hot syrup at me reminiscent of Vesuvius and the cooker hob resembles hardened blackened spreading circles that will need a chisel to rectify, and I am not wearing an apron….

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails