Friday 31 October 2008

"A little bit of Monica in my Life"

Feeling all pleased with myself today as I managed to get through most of “My list”. Those of you with a “bit of Monica in them” will appreciate how rewarding this can feel as you strike a line through the item, especially the ones where you have refused to procrastinate and just “got over it” and did it! The only things left off were “endeavour to do some Pilates” (ha!) and BSL homework which can wait a bit….

So here I sit in the gloom with one solitary spotlight for company because I am not going to answer the door to any little kids who want “treats” and would prefer to let them think I was not at home…but then that means I have the dilemma of wondering who it is (in case I am ignoring a friend or family member who has forgotten their keys…..) which would then entail me having to peek surruptiusly (spell check suggests scrumptiously…um no…but I can’t be bothered to get the dictionary….) through the curtains without being seen (perish the thought…) Am I the only one that does this?! Yeah, yeah, I know I could get out there and do lots of positive opposites etc, but tonight all I can think of are the old ladies who will be scared witless.

Today then was another good day in the life of Julie’s jelly jamborees!!! Wahay! But now no more crab apples and garden apples left so I will have to switch my attention elsewhere! Having watched Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall create a squirrel casserole last night, I spent the morning trying to dissuade Ramzi from planning a trap. What do you do when you have a frustrated hunter as a lodger? All he wants to do is shoot stuff! Thankfully the deer he photographed in the field behind us this morning were simply admired…He has informed me that we have “an animal that cannot see” making hills in our vegetable patch…If he gets his way, the aforementioned mole will be lured by an onion concoction (made by chef Ramzi, who needs Gordon?) to the surface where it will receive a hard blow to the head and thus our carrots will live to see another dawn….sigh….You see with these Urban Warriors….”life really is like a box of choclits”….but I’m glad we got him!!!! Tomorrow, I believe he will be emptying our pond with the device I purchased online that siphons off the water. It is really meant for our bath water but that’s another story for another day!

This week I eagerly anticipated the arrival of our “Farmer’s Market order”. I was not to be disappointed. Having not ordered on line for a while, we have decided to make more effort to buy our meat, vegetables and other bits and pieces from farmers in the local area. This also sorts out my milk dilemma as I have been told that 75% of the cost of the milk goes back to the farmer if I buy it this way. Okay, the milk is more expensive, but that wasn’t my concern as you know. We hope that our supermarket bills will decrease and that we will be investing more into the local economy in a small way.

I am still refusing to begin any Christmas shopping or even to entertain the thought…much…except that to say the Christmas cake is ready to be taken to the garage where it will stay for about 6 weeks in the Roses Chocolates tin, The Christmas pudding is soaking in Newcastle Brown Ale overnight and will be cooked in the Slo Cooker tomorrow. Yet again I know I will fight the urge to run as far as I can from all “I must have it for Christmas” hype, when I know the important stuff is being with the people you love (and possible those you don’t….) as we celebrate Jesus’ birth and what that means for us and in turn how that affects the people we rub shoulders with on a regular basis through the year. So this year I will celebrate well and decorate the house, probably with a monster tree (because I can….in my hallway) but the gifts will be thought about carefully and simply and I will try and I mean really try not to be a bah humbug!!!! So perhaps I have started thinking about it after all…….

Do you think it is safe to put the lights on yet? Surely no one is going to come at 8:30…I shall in a bit, I don’t want the others to come back and the place is in darkness…Ramzi suggested wiring up the doorbell so that people would get an electric shock…the boy has an evil streak…..

Now I have to attack the kitchen which looks like the proverbial bomb has hit it…albeit in an industrious sort of way and then I shall wend my way bedwards with all my gardening, cookery and green lifestyle books, my “to do list” book, don’t even go there,,, read a bit of Ezekiel…these prophets had a rough time, just finished Jeremiah, now I know why he was called “the weeping prophet” Blimey I would have been suicidal…..anyway, now I’m getting flippant, so that’s me signing off. Night allx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails