Saturday 7 March 2009

Knitted face cloths/flannels?

Well, here's a strange thing and it seems has an enthusiastic following...so I couldn't resist it to see what all the fuss was about! People across the globe are comparing patterns and knitting these squares to wash their dishes and their bodies...(ahem different cloths for different jobs...oh for goodness sake!)

So I did my research :) Off I went into town, returned with two balls of cream coloured 100% cotton which can be washed at 95°. (A few days later I also bought some organic cotton (wash at 40°) in an apricot shade as I remembered the health issues facing farm workers in some countries with the non organic cotton. As this was "Made in India" and even better, half price, I may just have to buy some more!)

The cream colour seems to knit up slighter thicker and may therefore make a more absorbant cloth (Gosh, I bet you guys are rivetted!!!) The pastel shades are obviously more attractive. My plan is to buy fragrant soaps and give them as presents. I may even use the idea to do some fundraising for Asha in the future.

The result? I am impressed! I have to say, I love my new flannel and no, I wouldn't go back to the old one, which incidentally resembles a board when dry, whereas I have to just keep stroking and squeezing my new one.....yep, I know, there are no words.....

I cannot bring myself to knit a dishcloth yet as I can't bear the idea of getting it dirty and the risk that the stains won't wash out and I am a sad woman who is obviously losing it bigtime!!!!!





The pattern I use says start decreasing about 45 stitches are on the needle, but I find 70 stitches is a good size for an adult flannel/dishcloth. The pattern is SO easy and the item can be completed in a few hours in front of the TV. I will try and get the link as I got it off some knitted dish cloth forum....and believe me they DO exist!!!!

This is the pattern:
http://www.groovy-mom.com/crafty/patterns/dishcloth.shtml

This is the ardent following they have!!!! LOL!

http://dishandwashclothmania.com/about/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/knitting/discuss/72157594270653708/




The Journal you can see above will be explained in another blog, it isn't a personal account of anything, just a snapshot into each day I decide to write in it....




This flannel and soap will be part of my mum's 70th birthday present when I visit her in a week or so!

So that's it for now...off to complete a few more rows and reflect on my day before I turn out the light!

Night night all!
xx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails