Wednesday 17 March 2010

Weights and measures

I can't believe that I have put up with them for so long....inaccurate by 3oz (old money) which I have tried to rectify by adding weights into the bowl before I weigh the ingredients, then in the case of flapjacks, fishing them out before the oats go into the saucepan.... The bowl that sits on the scale is too small for the quantities we have been weighing...really...the weights get mucky, some are going rusty...yes the time came along time ago, but I just carried on regardless...why do we do that?

ENOUGH! I looked long and hard in some of my kitchen cupboards and thought...hmmm for someone who enjoys having people around and wants to be intentional in this, I certainly need to invest in some kitchen equipment which is up to the job. Well the reasoning works for me! Now I'm not talking expensive china and cut glass (!) I have learned that if other people use your kitchen, you soon discover the following:

You can't find stuff in its usual place...a good game!
You discover ingredients you KNOW you didn't buy! Some of it written in a language you do not speak....
Things get broken...get over it....

So this week I have purchased THE MOTHER OF ALL KITCHEN SCALES! I knew I wanted scales that would do justice to weighing soft fruit for the jam making season (ooh errr listen to me Mrs Beaton eat your heart out) but I was unprepared for....***drum roll***

Quote..."Not only does it look the part, it measures up to an amazing 10kg (22lbs)"

Fippin' heck you could weigh a small child in that!

See for yourself!




So now it sits in my kitchen, all sparkly and shiny waiting for me to get out the recipe book and watch it's dial, rather that the precarious balancing act of recent days...

The former resides in the recycling bin awaiting a trip to the tip....and the Metals container...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails