Thursday 18 March 2010

Not In Service?



I was walking down my road yesterday and a bus drove past with "Not In Service" across the destination window....I found myself thinking how long could he get away with that sign on the front, just driving around Yeovil or wherever, enjoying the view, not having to deal with passengers, just cocooned in his little bus chuntering along...No kids crying, no one mucking up the seats, no grumbles, not having to stop and start on demand!

Could I have a sign like that, I wondered?! As someone choosing to discover each day, God's way of living, allowing Him to transform my life so that I start to look and act more like His Son....No, I'm in this for the duration....don't think a sign like that will somehow help the process!

Actually I prefer to imagine a sign that says "In His Service", take your seats, don't always know where the journey is taking us today, there may be some stops and starts, some crying, some messing up the seats, a few grumbles but come on, lets live it together, let's sing LOUDLY and Dance in the bus, check our maps, encourage each other to get out and explore, let others on, share our food and let's drink together, laugh ourselves silly. Let's throw out the questions, give up our seats to those whose need is greater than ours, learn to stand holding on to the loop thingy above when things get crazy and scary....

Sometimes it is tempting to flick that sign over and just drive that bus off into the distance, ignoring the requests to stop and let someone on who wants to do part of the journey with you, someone who wants to be "At Your Service, In His".

Call it random musings if you like!

3 comments:

Jane said...

Oh, I would love to come on your bus, sounds sooooo much fun and what great service too!!
I found your blog via Notes from the Frugal Trenches and have been so inspired reading your past posts, look forward to reading more.
Incidentally, I'm amazed by the volunteer work you do in the slums of India, what a blessing to you and the people there.

Julie'smusings said...

Shall we sit together?!!!! Thanks for your encouragement, The India volunteering started after an initial 2 week trip back in 2005, with a team from a Christian charity called Tearfund. It changed many things for me. Now I am involved independantly, taking teams out and generally loving India more and more. Their website is www.asha-india.org if you're interested in having a browse.

Look forward to future conversations!

Jane said...

Wow, thanks for the link. I'm so impressed by the wealth of projects this charity provides and their whole concept of enabling independent lives, through the teaching of a variety of skills.
It just makes me smile, to think how happy it must make the people living in the slums feel, as they gain more control over their lives and the opportunities it must open up for them... great!!
I guess for one minute you never thought you would be taking volunteers to the slums of India, it's amazing how God works in our lives.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails