Sunday 25 April 2010

Ladies who lunch -Wells

You know how easy it is for the days to pick up speed and before you know it, all your good intentions of being with mates and catching up with each other's lives, just seem to never happen...well, after this happened a few times, measures needed to be taken....So, now most months I meet up with a friend, having decided in advance (sometimes " in advance" is only descriptive by the skin of it's teeth!) We try and leave Yeovil at some point in the morning, find a town, do some exploring, have some lunch, do some more wandering around, find a tea shop, all the while chatting and thinking our own little thoughts! At about 5 we head for home feeling all pleased with ourselves! I recommend it heartily!

April's explore was Wells, the smallest city in England!


The writing on the wall


L with the map, so where shall we go, the long walk or the short one....





The Cathedral from without! I loved the frontals inside, the cloths displaying different images of the Christian festivals throughout the year. The Lenten one (?)with the Crown of Thorns was particularly evocative. There was also a round room where all the Prebendaries sat on stone ledges in a circle with the names of their areas of responsibilities written above their heads and made the church decisions of the day ...a little Lord of the Rings ish!

I need to talk to some of my Anglican friends about Cathedral designs sometime...so many questions!!!


I didn't expect to see these in the city by the moat behind the Bishop's Palace...

Go Mary!!!!
Flippin' heck Mary!!!!
)
And now for lunch, definitely a good choice! Food delicious and very good value, highly recommended.

Vicar's Row, originally for the choir....not a satellite dish in sight!


A brilliant little holiday home/retreat...

complete with idiot dog who chased my shadow until he found some children to entertain with his jumping!


Photographing doors/gates keeps me happy!


and door knockers....


The famous chiming Cathedral clock from outside, but you need to go and see it from inside too.


One of areas where you can find springs, which made Wells so popular originally.


Ye olde, closed by the time we walked past, sweet shoppe.


Where to in June? Maybe Bath...but before that will come the 10 day Magical mystery tour of May. Watch this space as I plan to blog daily on the adventure as it unfolds! But first I need to get me informed on all things dongle.....oh, I love my little Netbook :)

5 comments:

Diane said...

Mavis and I went to Wells on Thurs. Talked loads and found a lovely cafe tucked in a back street and sat in the sunshine and I found out I know you're son - who as I write this I've forgotten his name! The acting one!!!!
Must be an age thing the forgetting of names :-)

Julie'smusings said...

Actually, I'm greedy and I have two acting sons, however I think you mean the oldest one as he was involved in some Prayer stuff a few years back!

Mavis said...

Mind if I join in? When I read your blog I was about to comment when I discovered that Diane beat me to it. We went through that same gateway into the cathedral and the same man was there sitting in the same place - probably playing the same music! We had a coffee and scone in the cathedral cafe upstairs.

Our time together was a bit shorter than your day out as I had to get the bus back - oh the benefits of having a consessionary bus pass! But we still managed to cram in a lot of talking and catching up.

And, yes, it was Chris, who Diane knew through Heidi's Fire Storm stuff at YCC.

Jane said...

Oh! you're making me fall in love with England all over again, its quaitness and wonderful countryside... why do I always feel a need to live somewhere else, like another country, when there is so much beauty on my doorstep. Athough, I am off to Scotland tomorrow, but that still counts, it's in the U.K. Great pictures!!

Diane said...

Thanks Mavis. Yes it was Chris! Told you its an age thing. Though i did remember his name in the middle of the night! Not sure if that helped much, but good old Mavis came up trumps. Thank

and very greedy you having 2 acting sons. How is Chris doing? and also the other one that I don't know :-)
X

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails