Saturday 1 May 2010

Gentle pace Saturday

I love Saturdays where the day just unfolds at a gentle pace! Having spent the morning accompanying friends to choose their first chickens and then watching the latter explore their new home, we returned home for lunch and "garden plans".

Our chickens are now all geriatric but all bar one (Hattie) are still laying most days! Mabel now has the Acropolis all to herself and is living in luxury.

Dolly and Gert (in the foreground) not convinced about the camera!


The Cacti were planted out individually having been grown from seed and advised "not to transplant them for a year". D counted 18 definites, quite excited by them as they are a mix and we're not exactly sure how they will look. We're hoping that some will have flowers at soem point! We bought the seeds at the The Smallholders Show in Builth Wells last May. This year we will be on our "Mystery Tour" so maybe next year...

You will also see my Basil basilling...any one wants one, gimme a shout!



D has given the bay tree a "haircut"....again if you want some bay leaves, come and grab them, I have a HUGE pile of branches in the front garden!

The rhubarb crown we bought last year(?) is paying it's rent! We have placed this one in a different position and for the first time have decent crops....so exciting!!!


Okay guys, this is my Slimming World 1 SYN per portion pudding all ready for tomorrow's barbeque with friends....somehow I don't think eating outside will be happening.... The dessert gets great reviews by punters who are obviously impressed, so I'll take my chance. It is SO easy and I am getting to grips with fromage frais (low fat!) It is a blueberry clafouti., well cherry really, but you can choose your fruit. Both the blueberries and the eggs were homegrown so nice feeling...Apparently you eat it cold. Anyway here's the recipe..in faith, you understand!!!

Ingredients:

4 eggs
6-7 Tablespoons (tbsp) artificial sweetener
1 tsp almond essence
1 tsp vanilla essence
500g v low fat fromage frais
400g blueberries (or whatever!)

Preheat oven to Gas 2 , 150 C

Mix everything together except the fruit.

Put fruit in base of large flan dish
Pour over mixture

Bake for 1 hour (mine took an extra 10 minutes)

Allow to cool
Slice



Next was the turn of the mint. Am determined to get organised with this and have our own mint sauce supplies all year!


"drum roll"


I took a photo of the Marjoram hanging up to dry on our kitchen cupboard handles, but it was out of focus so I deleted it..another time!

I have planted "Cut and come again" lettuce and rocket in a car tyre as an experment. We have a few tyres that were left over from last years failed attempt at growing potatoes in them! We have one growing strawberries too. I will get some photos of them at some point. Apparently, you are supposed to line the inside bit so that the rubber doesn't leach out....the thought of "rubbery strawberries" isn't that appetising. It's a bit like lining a cake tin around the sides!
We still have two more tyres, one will grow courgettes, the other has not been decided. Good old Eden Motors...BMW tyres are bigger and better, so they say!!!

Well, the chickens are in bed and I will soon be wending my way upwards!
I still have my "Going with the Flow" 3 month update to write, so will need to get on with that soon...that one needs a bit more thought.

and finally.... a hearty soup made from scratch with everything chucked in (Samar are you reading this?!) Hopefully, in a few months it will be our own veg and even better, it gets an affirming nod from Slimming World. Today I have had to be careful as last night we went out with friends and I had the most delicious ice creams...Couldn't choose healthy as it was a set menu....what a shame! Weigh day is Wednesday and having lost a few pounds last week, I'm keen to repeat the same! The holiday week will be the challenge....


Now I am really signing off, night all!

2 comments:

Mavis said...

That recipe sounds really good. Must try it. By the way I use Quark quite a lot (instead of Fromage Frais) It is a virtually fat free cream cheese and very economical with a good sell by date - usually a couple of weeks or more.

Enjoy your mystery outing.

Julie'smusings said...

Dessert tasted fine, but a little too much almond essence, I felt! Perhaps it works better with cherries. Still a definite recipe to use for the future. I will experiment with other fruits and spices and use less almond essence next time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails