Thursday 13 May 2010

Day 7 Pigs, goats and frets

Our final full day here, we're pleased we opted for an extra day when we arrived, I think we will all have felt cheated if we'd just stayed the 2 nights....brilliant idea of Stuarts, to give us the option on arrival.

This morning, the gauntlet was thrown down and the H's were challenged by the P's to a game of Ping Pong. The challenge was taken up and......the H's thrashed them, not once but twice!
Just to rub it in:
21-6
21-9

P has disputed one point accusing D of a scoring error, which he has denied...this means war!!
We were supposed to be having another match Girls v Boys which S suggested...however we are all to exhausted tonight, having walked up and down hills which have put my calf muscles to the test! As we have a 9am ferry to catch tomorrow (weather permitting, we could be marooned!), I think they will have to "deal with it" and pronounce us the victors...by a long shot....:)

Yesterday we had seen a "kennel-like" building, with movement within (!) but it wasn't until we walked passed today that our theories were proved correct! Two piglets with their own enclosure looking very pleased with themselves!



Just to complete the picture , happy cows! Apparently no one keeps sheep on the Island because of problems keeping the lambs away from Ravens....who peck their eyes out and kill them..... It would mean keeping them indoors until they were big enough to cope....so no sheep and apparently no bee keepers either. I wonder what honey from gorse would taste like?


We all wanted to see the Island goats being milked. This involved a 1:2 hill, first gear only...or in my case little by little! I tried to amuse myself by singing "High on a hill lives a lonely goatherd", but didn't have the puff to yodel and walk uphill and anyway S was looking exasperated! My work colleagues will understand his reaction..they have a song-free week....there are certain people, Matt, who will be enjoying this experience! The milking is done between 10-12 and due to the competitive edge of the table tennis game, we lost track of time (but NOT score) and found ourselves in the milking parlour just to see a few squirts as udders were pulled. All goats standing in line....I must try this one day!

The guy who owns them and has kept goats here since 1972, arrived and was more than happy to take us down to see his other goats whilst two other workers finshed the job in hand! What followed next was a fascinating insight into goat keeping and temperaments, I could go on but suffice to say, we stroked a lot of goats and listened to a very interesting man who manages to keep 14 goats whilst being totally blind... He knows all the goats by feel and has names for all of them...except the males which you don't name as they go for meat...unless needed for breeding... As you can see they were a friendly bunch, nuzzling up and at one point wanting to take a few chunks out of my coat. We bought some goat's cottage cheese with garlic and some goat's strawberry ice cream and continued on our way.....up hill down dale following D the map reader, to the next port of call The Rock Pools.......















I was just at the point of doubting my husband's map reading, when we turned a corner and before us was a hidden bay and a welcoming sight...a seal in the water who stared at us for quite some time between diving for fish.










P did some sketching , D looked in rock pools, S had his binoculars out and I just looked and imagined smugglers coves etc. After a while I ambled back slowly as I knew the others would catch me up at some point. Then the rain came....It was more as P called it "sea fret" which is apparently what they say in Whitby. D thought it sounded more like something you would find on a guitar....

Thankfully most of the return trip was downhill, but by now my legs were feeling a little like jelly and the rain had seeped in through my trousers. I couldn't see a thing through my glasses, but I was happy as were the others! P had wet socks, neither of the boys had bought spare trousers... We made our way into the harbour cafe, a repeat of the previous day except it was an hour later at 3pm and the ferry had just arrived with a few daytrippers who couldn't see a thing as the mist had come down. For lunch I had the most unusual combination of smoked mackeral, salmon and salad leaves interspersed with melon, apple,orange,pear and banana all chopped and sliced. It was delicious, I meant to take a photo, but forgot...It is definitely going to be one to create at home....but I will choose who to give it to!!

P had a bit of banter going with the owner as they had no bread and butter pudding on offer and she had already sampled the apple pie...She had to make do with the latter for the second time, but had her own this time...apparently she isn't very good at sharing. However it seems that that her sketches could be in demand, so she may have a commission or two! It was awellspent two hours and I was thinking hot fire and cup of tea thoughts...but no...there were more plans afoot and I was outnumbered!

A short walk to the loch was suggested....how short, say I? I agree as I know I'll probably regret it if I don't and they'll all come back euphoric and I will have missed out..so I go....it was short and it was a road we hadn't walked (believe me we've done most of them!) and we saw a few ducks and birds I didn't recognise....I really must make it a priority next time...although to be fair, we haven't really seen any close enough to be able to identify any, they just look so different that I know I'm missing some interesting ones!




We amble back and S gives me a" Beginners guide to Tides" lesson, I can't believe how ignorant I am! Soon back and kettle is on!

Okay, since I started writing this blog I have been dragged, stiff and achey to a return table tennis match. As expected, it is Boys v Girls....I am pleased to report the Girls won the first game

21- 16 we think, the boys have conveniently forgotten the score.

the second game they won

21-20...see how close it was!

P was up for another game...the woman is competitive, but S called it "an honourable draw" and the bats were laid down. P said it was only because they were hungry....

We have been able to get newspapers and have read bits and pieces of what is going on in England, it all seems a little remote from here.

So tomorrow we leave for Waterford where we will explore before spending the night at Rosslare in a hotel near the ferry terminal. D found it online last night and booked it. S gave us the challege of finding cheap accomodation. The sailing to Fishguard is at 9am on Saturday, where we will enter Wales and will have travelled through England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Irish Republic and Wales all in 10 days! Of course we don't know what awaits us in Wales...

So hopefully a Waterford blog will follow soon! You are all so brilliant keeping up with all this rambling....or maybe I am talking to myself!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails