Sunday 16 May 2010

Day 9 What's occuring? I'm not gonna lie to you

On the ferry at Rosslare....




So we enter Wales and the sun shines on us.On arriving at a small called Cenarth we spot a Barbie Pink coffee shop and pull in for what actually turns out to be lunch and coffee.....



with handbags for sale...What can I say, for those of you who know P and her ever increasing handbag collection...how could we have known? She opened them, closed them, studied straps and handles, brought one to the table, hoping S would be acquiescent....nothing...




We noticed Leek and Potato soup on the menu...well, when in Wales..yep we asked for the Leek...Ah no, apparently it wasn't on today's menu.....vegetable be okay? Vegetable it was. Others of us ordered different things and we sat down. All went well until the ice cream...which flavour? Various ones were ordered, ah, not on the menu today, what about this flavour, ah no....it was beginning to sound like the Monty Python cheese shop sketch....Fortunately, all was done with great humour and we didn't have to resort to the final few sentences where John Cleese brings the scene to its unfortunate climax! You'll have to view it on YouTube.....




Now if any where gets "the most girly toilet award" this place certainly did! I just HAD to capture it on film. See what you think!















It is a pretty little town with the river Teife running through and many little waterfalls and rocks to leap over which some of us did and some of us (me) watched. D gave me a nature lesson on trees (not feeling them Lynn!) just identifying them...again I can't believe how ignorant I am in this area... After S had tormented P a little by attempting to sail her shoes whilst she leaped from rock to road...okay stepped..and after D had photographed the ducks many times and filmed the flowing water, we continued on our way oblivious to our destination.









At some point I asked whether we ought to get some milk and coffee for breakfast and then things started to unravel and the adventure took a new turn. D and I returned with provisions and D closed his passenger door or tried to......the lock wouldn't engage and the door wouldn't close.... S gets out handy Swiss Army knife, attempts to remove panel from door....no joy. After a while D asks whether calling the RAC out might be a possiblity, it is generally agreed, may be wise as there is a limit to how long one can drive whilst someone holds the door closed....and we are still a long way from home. D calls the RAC and we are told it could be up to 2 hours, so P goes off to sketch and I get my Netbook out to write up the blog on WordPad. I need to top up my dongle and I only have an hour left of battery. So here I sit in a town called Tregoran watching the bored youth smoking on corners or lingering outside the pub....We are trying to decide whether to go for the chippie and I am sort of wishing I never mentioned coffee and milk! S is being very matter of fact, I guess it could have happened anywhere and by the sound of it where we are heading is remote....noone is going to be allowed to open that door from now on!



Waiting for the RAC






(written the following morning)

RAC man arrived after 1 3/4 hours, sprayed WD40 into the hole, gave it a thump and bingo, all done in 30 seconds! "I've just driven 70 miles to do that!" he said gruffly. The thing was that was exactly what S had intended but as WD40 was not something he had thought to pack (why would you?) and everything was closed except a Spar, we were on to a loser!

We continued our journey over the Cambrian Hills and saw more sheep and lambs that skipped and ran everywhere, what a huge playground they have! We passed through Builth Wells and not for the first time that day I thought about D and R who will have spent the day there today, I know they will have loved it and the weather will have been perfect! We will have to wait until next year!







S makes a call to the Youth Hostel to check when they closed as we were running late due to the door incident! All is well, but we are all hungry, so a quick petrol refill which conveniently has a co op attached where D and I grab a selection of ready made salads and sausage rolls and we're off again! We arrive at Clun a small village with a Youth hostel that was once a Mill! When I got at of the car D says "Look up" and there above me was the Plough in all its glory, just don't ask me where the North Star was, apparently, I misled you all with my previous description.... It was about 11.30 when we turn out the light. We'll have to see the view when we wake up!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails