Wednesday 12 May 2010

Day 5 "Gone fishing!"

So with backpacks filled, plus the remaining food in carrier bags we set off from Cork, had coffee in Bantry Bay and then drove down to Baltimore with three of us attempting to guess at the master 3 day plan and S looking quietly amused through the rear view mirror. Eventually we had an explanation...The car was being parked at Baltimore for 3 days, we were catching a 45 minute ferry over to Cape Clear Island and staying in the Youth Hostel...which had chickens.....




On arrival,, it was only a short walk from the ferry. There were only 4 other people travelling with us, one of whom lives here! The hostel is almost on the rocky beach. It used to be the coastguard's cottage. We are the only visiters at the moment!




We were allowed to borrow a fishing rod, so after a quick lesson of "how to spin" S, D and I set off, leaving P to read and sketch to her heart's content. We clamboured down rocks to the recommeded area to fish...me quite gingerly.... The boys went first and then S explained to me how to throw the line out and wind it up....I had to get him to steady me as I was convinced I would launch myself over the rock into the sea. D was poised with the camera. After a few goes, I managed to get it caught up on some seaweed so S had to untangle it. The boys had a few more goes. Because I didn't want to go "out with a wimper" I thought I'd have another go..this time the warden came down and gave us a few tips. It was my turn again....but I was up for it! I said "oh no, I've caught it on seaweed again!" However it soon became apparent that something else was happening and I reeled in my first Pollack, shrieking "I caught a fish" soon to be followed by screams as the wriggling thing kept jumping up towards me on the line! D did the smacking it's head on the rock...a few times just to be sure (to be sure...sorry....) BUT, GUYS I CAUGHT MY FIRST FISH!!!









However the freakiness continued...after another 15 minutes or so...it was getting a little addictive, we stopped and I carried my prize home....Then it starts to move as I'm walking back with it. It is "breathing" in my hand....then the tail starts flapping about....another scream......Apparently, it is the nerve endings...yuk...the warden whacked it again...sorted...then he showed us how to fillet it on the beach!








This evening we added it to our meague meal (tomorrow we shop for food!) Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall would have been proud of us. Can't get fresher than that! What a great start to our simple few days,,,going out and catching our food....



Oh and on the way over on the ferry, I said to D. Wouldn't it be funny if the first people we met were Dutch.....you've guessed it!!!! I can't believe it Angelique, the woman sounds exactly like your mum!!!

They have 5 chickens which I fed with corn this afternoon...and NO foxes on the island, although possibly mink..so not 100% safe...

Tomorrow we are going Walkabout....there are a couple of Craft shops too....

120 people live on this island...no doubt we shall be meeting some of them tomorrow. ooh there is a blind goat keeper too...milking at 10 and 12...might go and see what's ocurring!!!!




Hope you like the photos!

1 comment:

Jane said...

What a wonderful adventure S is planning for you all, I'm sooo envious.
I love the photos, Cape Clear Island looks wonderfully wild and remote, definitely my kinda place.
I guess you'll be nominated the fisherwoman from now on... great catch!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails