Monday 10 May 2010

Day 2 in which we meet St Patrick and are a little Star-struck

In fact this is Day 3 and I'm sitting in a shower cubicle at 10 to 1 in the morning of Monday 10th May, (I think!) The others are asleep next door, but having had a snooze on the way, and I can't tell you where to as it will spoil Day 2, if you get me! So back to Armagh and Day 2...

Pulling back the curtains this morning revealed another promising blue sky! The shower was hot and forceful, like having a body pummel, bliss, I can't believe I had to turn the heat DOWN, more than enough to wake you up and prepare for the day ahead. P had brought a radio with her and we really, really did hear the man say "to be sure, to be sure" even if Heather doesn't believe me... I can't wait to tell her that people DO say "Top o' the mornin' to ya" but I haven't had that pleasure yet....have to return the "smugness" factor somehow..."I know where you're going" indeed, Mrs MaccaPacca! It had been decided that brunch was on the menu, but first we needed to get P her first coffee fix and then we were off!

Tourist information first stop...Planetarium showing booked for 2pm, then off for breakfast....

Brunch came in the form of a fry up and more coffee, sitting in a sun drenched conservatory where P took off her layers and basked in it's rays. S sorted out my dongle and P and I did a quick Facebook status before moving on to the audio/ visual presentation of the history of Armagh, where St Patrick fitted into it all and how this small city manages to have two cathedrals!

We had 15 minutes to get across town and take our seats for the Pole Position show, which had us all in semi reclining seats awaiting the spectacle of the heavens above to open before us. We were not to be disappointed as the galaxy appeared before us and the night sky was explained in all its glory! Now, I don't know about you but yeah, I get the plough, I can see why it is named thus, however some of the other obscure shapes..is it me? Ursa Major and Minor maybe, cut them a bit of slack but some of the others...maybe star gazing goes to your head and it's just pick a shape, any shape and name it after a crab or an upside down woman with her hair hanging loose. The North star, how to locate it from the plough handle, up a bit left a bit, oh yes how could I have missed it.....So now I know why I have such naff navigation skills! Having taken the mick, it was actually very interesting and I think I learned something...unlike the man just over the way who nodded off and began snoring quietly...but not quite enough to avoid being heard by the entire auditorium...so thankful Adam was not amongst us, he could have "rendered the heavens asunder"! (sorry A, but I did have a flashback and can still hear R trying to wake you because E had thrown up. Everyone else could hear her except you, remember? Anyway, I digress and anyway, who says he's gonna read this anyway!)

It reminded me of these verses from Psalm 8 (reaches for Bible under showerhead..would you believe I'm sitting on a pillow, surrounded by a clock, camera and towel, incase I need to improvise a blanket!) The others are sure they are going to wake me up from in here, when they get up tomorrow/today whatever!!)

Gosh the writing is small....squint..

Verse 3-4

When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

We then had a wander around some exhibitions re Space technology and then went outside to the Hill of infinity (and beyond!) where there were loads of numbers about heat and distances and planets and I made the sign for this is totally going right over my head, and made my way up the head which had regular markings telling me in algorythmns (sp?) that I was equivalent light years from this and that...I plodded up the Infinity hill which thankfully did not go on for that long....the others were obviously more intrigued by this...many years of Star Trek voyager methinks! Although some guy who was looking at the markers at the same time as P said something to the effect of " haven't we got a great God" she was quite stunned by this, not the sort of thing random strangers look up and say to you, but agreed with him!




The Hill of Infinity

After this, a quick tour around Sainsbugs as D and I were on cooking duty. A quick coffee/tea stop outside with accompanying trolley, the waitress, obviously wanted to go home and tried to detach D from his jug of milk....nothing else..just his jug and he was still drinking his tea. There was NO WAY he was gonna be parted from the jug...it was a strange and surreal moment and then she went back to mopping the floor...We continued to sip whilst she semi lowered the barrier thingy, like the one we have in the kitchen at YCC that comes down from on high....but thankfully no decapitations were the order of the day...and S said she DID look tired so we were very gracious.

So back to the hostel where it was agreed that Dr Who was the priority before dinner. I managed to shriek out loud and embarrass myself...a little bit...no one likes to sit next to me in cinemas...

Pasta with salmon and prawn and a Philidelphia sauce with added fresh dill, some garlic bread and a side salad was the culinery delight, washed down with 2 bottles of wine (boys,I only had my usual half a glass...so who drank the rest?) Desserts were microwaved sticky ginger pudding and some other pudding, drizzled with cream.. I had Mueller Light which wasn't quite as interesting!

The evening ended with "View from a bunk" in this case it was S's, straight across to the sunset. D and P took photos at various stages and I tried to write up Day 1 blog whilst they kept switching lights off for a better photo!

I think that sort of sums up Day 2!





View from a Bunk!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails