Monday 10 May 2010

Day 4 "What a Corker!"

Today, it was decided, would be a quieter day spent exploring Cork, a day off from driving for S&P..so we went shopping!



We walked in alongside the river and spotted 3 herons in the water, obviously rich pickings to be found! D managed to photo one, thought he'd missed it but looks like he's got a successful shot after all! No kingfishers though...I live in hope!




We popped in and out of "interesting", to P & I, shops and than S went very quiet as I pointed out Fat Face and in we went!!!! P is now the proud owner of some much reduced (in price...and she didn't even barter for them) trousers which she proceeded to wear as she was chilly in her choice of leg coverings for the day. For some reason we decided to visit the English market...which turned out to be more French, Irish, Greek and Italian but we are learning not to question now....So in this "English" market we purchased a variety of breads and cheeses to compliment our supplies back at the Youth Hostel, tea was sorted...now for coffee! Upstairs there was a cafe which allowed us to survey the sights and smells below. It was duly noted that Irish Stew was on the lunch menu and a return trip was planned after further explorations were completed to everyone's satisfaction.




So what next..well I'll say this...D and I wanted to go to the butter museum.....you don't need to say anything, I know what you're all thinking... How to make butter and the history behind the butter industry here in Ireland...I'll never be able to look at the Kerrygold label in the same way again! We suggested that P & S might like to do something different for an hour...they agreed VERY readily and settled down in the cafe next door, where P sketched and S slept..... meanwhile D & I sat ourselves down in front of a 10 minute video, on entering the museum, and proceeded to watch an old documentary about, you guessed it....collecting milk from the farm, what happened next, I bet you are all on the edge of your seats! After this there were various displays showing milk churns, butter shapers, barrels, skimmers and all the superstitian associated with if your cream doesn't cut...beware the fairies.....they had to answer to many things...oh and don't even think about lighting your pipe whilst all this churning was going on....taking the ashes out from the fire, don't even go there...big big trouble.




We emerged fully informed and actually having enjoyed it, we may make our own in small quantities....has to be done, don't you think? Don't answer that....we've seen the wry smiles...but I bet you'd all have a taste...yeah.... you would....

So back for the Irish Stew, actually Fish Chowder first for D&I, S & P opted for pudding instead of a starter, bread and butter pudding and apple pie and custard...huge helpings.... We were not disappointed at the quality and the flavours and were especially impressed as all the produce had been sourced through the farmer's markets below us!






Now I had spotted the wool shop with pattern books in the same complex, so was off like a shot leaving P to sketch and D or S to pay. Three patterns were bought, no wool, will try and buy online. S started asking the shop owner random questions and she asked him if he was an engineer....she'd met his type before. The soya wool was a new one on me, also glad to see organic cotton (no pesticides which harm the farmer's health) and also Debbie Biss (I believe) is doing an organic and fairtrade wool.




After all the travelling of yesterday, we came back for a chillin' out evening, catching up on the news and reading/ blogging. S informed us that tomorrow we need to pack a back pack for 3 days and the rest will be left in the car. He says we need to pack two pairs of shoes and warm clothes. I see he has packed his binoculars. I'm not sure if I will have a signal or a chance to charge up my netbook should I need to...but you can rest assured I will do my utmost to keep you in the picture, come what may!

So now it is 10.50pm and I have just retreated to the shower again, will add a few photos and then get me some sleep before the adventure continues in the morning.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails