Saturday 9 October 2010

Autumn Days

Saturday in pictures! First the chutney in the mix, dh is at the other end of the kitchen making "freezer failure jam" which consists of a variety of soft fruits needing to be turned into something else, quickly!  The freezer itself is behaving at the moment, no sign of a flashing red light, but it is on a yellow card and we're watching...


No nutcrackers, so those that we were unable to prise open were crunched with a metal contraption retrieved from D's tool box.....I can't photograph it as he  has secreted it away again and I'm not about to go rummaging in the equivalent of "The Man Drawer".

I do knit other things apart from dishcloths! However I have wool to use up and I know I can knit AND talk with this easy pattern....such matters are important.

Shredding is under way!  Light is now filtering through the front rockery area, over
enthusiastic tree given a haircut.... a ruthless number 1 by looks of it!

Result!


Meant to do a before and after, but knew that if I came in to find the camera, I could get distracted!  You can see the tub filled with old tomato plants amonst other things.  The soil was AMAZING, so easy to lift....having Hattie on that site for a few years certainly paid off.  Hoping to do the same with the other girls when we relocate them to the end of the garden.  Hardly took any time at all, quite impressed.

Then of course I had to go and see the girls, camera in hand!  Don't always manage to get them all in one shot, so.... from left to right we have:
 Connie- Silver-laced wyandotte, our  shy introvert and bottom of the pecking order.
Xena or to give her her full title: Xena Fox Fighter Warrior Princess, (she lived to tell the tale...and we will never forget the night) top of the pecking order, into her 5th year now.  Shes a Light Sussex goes broody every May....but doesn't have a flounce now when we remove her from the next box and order her to "Eat something, already!"
Dolly: Cream Legbar (blue egg layer) Total extrovert and very nosey.  Sports a frivolous hairdo...
Gert (and she is, people think she is a turkey from a distance!) Blue Orpington, gentle giant.


and then there's Mabel who is our one remaining exbatt.  She has the "Acropalace" all to herself  but doesn't seem too lonely since we lost Hattie recently :(  She is able to see what's going on. We pop in to see her and chat, but she doesn't enjoy being touched unlike Hattie who was aways "in your face"!

I can't believe she kept still for long enough for me to take this.

A perfect pear..see what I did there.....

Not so perfect windfalls...got some work to do here....little by little!

and finally the jam that D made.  I cleaned them up and removed all the old labels ready for him to attach a description and date.  I can't bear old labels stuck under new ones.....it all has to look new and shiny. About such things I make my stand!

1 comment:

Mavis said...

stufthWhat a busy and productive day. Well done to both of you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails