Thursday 7 January 2010

Backpacks and the journey




I had a picture for the start of the year. It was an old faded blue denim backpack, not a huge one full to capacity and heavy to carry, but one that looked as it it might have one or two items in it, but laying fairly flat against my back. I had been trying to write down my challenges for 2010, what I would aspire to, targets, lists, those of you who like lists are nodding in an understanding way. It was not going well, the list making. Somehow, what was taking shape in my brain wasn't looking right on paper. I stopped....what was going on?

I should have been at a New Years Eve party, I've been going to one every year for as along as I can remember, but this year it has been different. I have needed to stop and listen as if I need to prepare for 2010 and whatever it holds or us, either as a family, our church family or as a nation. It feels as if the year needs to be entered into thoughtfully and with purpose in a sort of "bring it on" roll up the sleeves type of way. I'm not preaching doom and gloom, but I do think it will be significant year and I wondering if others are thinking the same, I don't think I am "off the wall"!

I thought about the back pack again. It was about my lists, my challenges, my resolutions, if you like...It wasn't going to be about what I take into the year, it would begin with what I leave out, what is unnecessary and a hindrance, what needs to remain in 2009, so to speak....

The challenge came in a quiet thought "what about if we do it differently this year, each day you make the decision to connect with Me and you will gather and learn as each day passes. These will be added to your backpack, which will never become too heavy, but will be filled with the experiences and adventures of the year. The key is to Connect...with the moment, the conversation, the person, the sadness, wherever the Partnership takes us for this year. Are you up for the challenge?"

So no routine as I know it then, each day a rhythm of it's own. "It's not about disorder is it?" I ask with a pained expression, being someone who isn't so much Little Miss Structure" as she used to be and can cope with the people who put toilet rolls the wrong way round and don't iron their tea towels...but I needed the reassurance. "A new way to walk through the day does not mean you ignore your responsibilities..." I am okay with that...

So I've "signed up" and what happens, SNOW in the nation and everyone's routines are
thrown into disarray!!!!

Anyone else want to come along for the adventure, to be there when it is hilarious, scary or sad, affirming and enriching...in fact Life In All It's Fullness! I wonder what your backpack looks like!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails