Friday 1 April 2011

Arrival in Delhi, two lessons learned


Been challenged by some of the concepts around living a more minimilist lifestyle, recently. There are so many views on what this means for different people in terms of what possessions are inportant to us, how we spend our time, our money, how we invest in people, what do we mean by work, the list goes on and on. I've read many different blogs and opinions and gradually I'm forming some of my own. At some point I want to write about some of the different aspects I am exploring on this as I am certain it is part of something bigger that I am discovering. I think I will find it helpful to walk some of it out on here and invite your comments.

I am sensing that this time in India, away from my usual routine, will open my eyes more to some of the "something bigger". Within one hour of arrival, I learned two important lessons.



Our cases didn't arrive with us. Somewhere they languish in Paris haven't missed the connecting flight. We will be reunited with them in 48 hours, they are being sent down to the tiger reserve where we are heading tomorrow evening on the overnight train. So hopefully by Sunday, we won't be washing our clothes every day! Interestingly, I packed two spare days of clothes in my hand lugguage...something I have never, ever done....but felt I ought to this time.... So, how much do we really need to survive? It will an interesting two days! Baggage enquiries have given us some emergency toiletories and a white T shirt each. We may have to have a photo shoot!

On our way to the guest house, we passed a tragic scene, two young lads looked as if they had come off a motor bike, It seemed as if they had died at the scene. A small crowd had formed by the side of the road and one lad was being picked up and manhandled into a car....Poverty, what choices? Horrible...no 999, no ambulance, no one to do resus, no one to say don't move him, he could have a fractured spine....A stark reminder...somewhere families are in shock.....Welcome to Delhi......so terribly sad.....Tonight I will pray for comfort for those that have loved them. Sorry to bring a downer on this first blog but this is all part of what I need to grasp...

Long day, been up since 02:30, so will turn in now, the adventure continues tomorrow!

1 comment:

Mavis said...

I pray Holy Spirit guidance through this part of your life's journey. Seeing poverty at first hand can be a rude awakening to rethink what we really NEED or WANT because of the life style we're used to. Blessings on your visit to India and waiting to hear more.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails