Sunday 17 April 2011

I am home!



I am home, begs the question how do you define home?  Is it "where the heart is"?  Is it a place? Can it also be a space..."feeling at home"? So, being "at home" can also mean being content within yourself? Being content is an area I am turning over in my thoughts lately.  If I analyse it like that, I suppose I could say that "being content in all circumstances" means that I know that I am "at home" inside myself even if the outer circumstances chop and change around me.

 So my thoughts lead on to think about being content. How does the dictionary define it?

Content: satisfied
Content with: Not wishing to have more or other than

(Interestingly the following two words in the list are contention: strife, dispute, rivalry. Contentious: quarrelsome)

So questions need to be asked and disciplined to become part of natural thought processes:
  • Which areas of daily living and contentment walk together well? Can these be taken to a deeper level ie incorporating simplicity and minimalism (subjects that may be saved for another occasion!) Oh the thoughts that whirl around!
  • Imagine having a conversation witha contented/satisfied person. What do we talk about? How do I feel? Are the outcomes familiar or am I left feeling challenged?
  • When does contentment become selfish and/or lazy?  What can be the signs?
  • How does injustice fit into "being content"?
Interesting exercise....

So returning to the Dawn Chorus which provoked these thoughts this morning, the early morning mist prevents me from seeing beyond my garden, but I wonder, what will today bring?

It is easy just to take the photo or the film, become a spectator of the unfolding day.....I want to get out there and partake of the adventure, take time to listen, to watch and immerse myself in the moments.  Anyone care to join me?  Breathe deeply, the day stretches out before us!










1 comment:

Jane said...

Welcome home!

I loved reading about your trip to India, what a wonderful time you had.

The words simplicity/minimalism really speak to me and I truly believe it is the way to contentment and happiness. There are so many benefits to striving for this way of life and one being, more time for pleasure and enjoyment. So yes, I'm on board!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails