Saturday 30 April 2011

Deep Purple.....dreams?

The trip to Homebase was straightforward and there was nothing to suggest what lay ahead except the plan to paint Andy's old room in a deeper mauve colour with two contrasting walls.

We found a deep plum colour which was decided would be the contrast colour behind the bed,fairly easy decision especially as they were promoting a buy one get one half price. Next the contrast colour...we wanted something that would blend, perhaps a lighter shade..again, a fairly easy decision, so far so good!  The final colour was the gloss shade, I wanted a fairly neutral colour, slightly cream maybe. We opted for pecan as it had a warmer hue. Home we went, my afternoon and evening mapped out!


Every project has to have its before and after photos....


My Craft corner, not looking forward to moving all that stuff...




And so to paint! D went to clean the chickens out and I started on the contrast wall.....very purple...very contrast....totally a feature all of its own.  Having sugar soaped the blue tack marks and still failed to get them covered over with paint on the first coat, I reassured myself the next (very purple) coat should do it. The phone rings D is needed up the road to help some friends out, I am under the impression it is for  5 minutes or so...he disappears, only to reappear a minute later, a spade is needed, he leaves again... I decide to paint the skirtings whilst waiting for the purple to dry. Now this time I have done everything the wrong way round, playing by my "I just want to get this done as quickly as I can in no particular order", before anyone criticises!

The gloss paint is French mustard colour, I stare at it,  nothing neutral about this shade....breast fed baby poo colour....I paint, unconvinced....The mustard against the purple is not pleasant...I paint two skirting boards, then having talked myself into the "you haven't wasted this, it can be used in Nick's room, I reseal the lid and wonder how I am going to inform the man that more paint needs to be purchased.....of the neutral shade variety...

So by now I am in for a penny in for a pound, I look at the remaining paint pot. It has to be done, I open it  and slop the paint on liberally, beginning to be past caring.  The colour is dark...a very pretty mauve, a beautiful mauve.....a competing for contrast with the purple wall mauve.  Suddening I am overwhelmed by the oppressive walls closing in on me.  I practice walking into the room, as if I have never seen it....

Oh my....I am in a purple box...a deep purple box and I can't pretend this is us being "adventurous with colour" Even with our  radical orange landing, this really is too much, nothing I try to tell myself convinces me I have made the right choice.

I rest my case....


So what's a girl to do? D has still not returned, hours have passed, why does he need a spade, what is he digging? What do I tell him now?  Not only do I hate the mustard , but now I have two walls which look as if I have had an unfortunate accident with a winepress.....The front door opens, the man appears, he has been shovelling cement...... He starts to come upstairs....I feel the need to warn him before he enters the room...I call out phrases in the hope that it will prepare him for the sight: "It's too dark" "The colours are battling for supremacy", "I don't like it"

He stands and surveys the scene. "I agree" says he, "What about if we paint over the deep purple with the lighter colour and buy a more subtle  shade for the other three walls?"  He quite liked the pecan (me....mustard) but seemed okay with my suggestion of a more ivory shade....He was hungry...I suggested we get our own meals tonight...I couldn't just stop, things needed to be rectified! He disappears to prepare his meal... (dreadful wife....leaving the husband to fend for himself and after all that shovelling)

So lighter shade is applied over deep purple shade and then the song started in my head....a tinny sort of tune from my teenage and it wouldn't go away....



Now I have two wall painted the same colour but feel I am heading in the right direction.  Another coat on the deep purple should do it, just need to pop out to Homebase tomorrow...and still the song plays in my head....


On my word, look at the teeth!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-w1bztcm70

 I am officially the messiest painter!  Should have taken a picture of my hands and arms (oh yes!)


So here endeth Part 1. I have no intention of having any "Deep purple dreams" tonight, but now I'm on a mission!

Does anyone want any deep purple satin emulsion?!!!!










No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails