Saturday 3 July 2010

As for Bath, all history went and bathed and drank the waters there WILLIAM THACKERAY

A snapshot of a day out in Bath! We didn't drink the waters and thankfully it wasn't overly busy. Come and see what we got up to!

First note, the classy chandelier, today was going to have class and sophistication!


No queueing in The Pump Room and a classical quartet playing as we drank our coffee.



This guy was playing what I guess was some sort of steel drum, I loved all the musical creativity I saw....something you don't get in Yeovil....yet...

And into the Abbey we went just for a quick peep, but it turned out to be something extraordinary in terms of Art and imagery.

There was a fabric/embroidery display on view which told the story of Jesus' life from his conception to his resurrection. Thirty five panels, about the size of 2 landscaped A4 pages, one above the other, I guess. Each panel had the explanation of what the imagery stood for. The Calligraphy panels with the Scripture verses were beautiful, but it was the creative way she had put the fabric together to tell the story which I found so moving. We spent ages just studying them. I had to buy the book, which actually does justice to them on the page. It isn't always the case. Do go and see them if you get the chance!

Here's how a journalist described them:

One Man’s Journey to Heaven is a unique work by Peasedown St John-based artist Sue Symons.

Sue was inspired by Bach's St Matthew Passion to create the artwork which depicts the life of Christ in 70 images grouped together in pairs or ‘diptychs’.

She embarked on the panels in 2005 as a retirement project which combines her two artistic passions: textiles and lettering.

Each of the 35 diptychs includes a text from the Gospels in beautifully decorated calligraphy, alongside a panel of needlework that offers a personal interpretation of each step in the story.


Bath Abbey


The altar frontal depicting a scene from Revelation. I never knew what a frontal was until we visited Wells recently, now I'm hooked!






I can't do this justice! I love stained glass...perhaps I should get some put in to my tall windows at the front!


I just like the sword, keys and cross symbolism here....



And so to lunch...Howz about Jamie's place?


Under that salad (which gave me lots of ideas!) are free range grilled chicken slices. Free from all Syns (Slimming World) and at last I can eat chicken in a restuarant, with a clear conscience!



Lynn's was equally delicious I am told. Can't remember the name of the Italien meat, but you will probably be able to identify it!


An afternoon wander around a few shops...

And then tea with Mr Darcy, of course! The Jane Austen Tea Rooms were quaint and the waitresses aprons were perfect...maybe I should make one....

Darjeeling for Lynn, Assam for me!



A quick stride up to the Crescent, but couldn't see it at its best as there were marquees going up for a food festival the next day. Will have to come back and see the view and ha ha (ditch) another day!

and finally off to buy a Sally Lunn Bun...or in Lynn's case, four!



Another delightful "Ladies that Lunch" day out! You should try it!

1 comment:

Mavis said...

Sounds like you had a great day out. Looking at that 'steel' drum, gives me an idea for an old battered wok!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails